Great question?

When traveling does your auto insurance, RV Insurance, Boat Insurance go with you?   Depends where you are going.  If you are traveling intrastate then, yes your current auto policy travels with you inside of the United States and its territories.

If you are traveling to Mexico you will need to purchase a international policy which you can usually purchase just before entering Mexico.  Seriously,  you will want to purchase it before entering Mexico as your California policy stops after a few miles.   Consider adding comprehensive, collision and definitely tow onto the Mexico policy.

How about when traveling to Canada?  Read your policy, so far all of the policies I have read RV’s, Auto Insurance and Boats follow you into Canada.

Therefore, if you are going to go camping for a month in your truck and 5th wheel up into Canada then your current policies should be sufficient.  However,  I suggest you read your policy or contact your agent in an effort to verify that you do not need to purchase any additional insurance.

What if I am traveling to Texas and have a California minimal limit policy and am in an accident?  If it is for a short trip then the California policy will increase up to Texas’s minimal policy limits if the policy you have does not meet Texas minimal limits.

Second scenario.  What if I Rent a vehicle in Texas but have a California minimal auto insurance

limit of $15,000/$30,000 for injury and $10,000 for property damage?  If you rent a vehicle then your policy again will increase to meet that states minimal limit if your current limit is less than that states.  However,  if you would like for comprehensive and collision coverage on the rental car then your current policy would need to have comprehensive and collision on all vehicles on that policy for it to cover the rental vehicle.


Have a great day and be safe out there.